Welcome to the Solidification and Microstructure Simulation Group
In our research group, the focus is on the simulation and experimental characterization of solidification, phase transformations and grain growth in alloys and the morphological changes they cause on the microscopic scale. Current topics are related to
- Solidification along a eutectic path in ternary alloys
- In-situ X-ray monitoring of advanced metallurgical processes under micro gravity and terrestrial conditions
- Calculation of phase diagrams for bulk and nanosystems
- Microstructure evolution simulations for phase transformations, recrystallization and grain growth using the phase-field and phase-field-crystal method
- Diffusion simulations and experiments
The fields of applications are versatile: grain growth, lead free soldering, CIGS solar cells, aluminum, thin films, nano-wire.
From left to right : Calculated Au-Ge phase diagrams for bulk systems and nano-particles of 5 and 10 nm. Experimentally obtained eutectic solidification structure. Simulated grain structure with surface grooving.